Normally this is my favorite post to write every month, but I am not as excited this month. It’s not because I didn’t make any money – because I did. This is the most I’ve made since starting this blog.
My blog dropped to 300 page views/month – YES! 300 page views the WHOLE MONTH (I am surprised I even made money). Pinterest monthly viewers dropped from 72k to 27k. I was gone for 3 weeks traveling to Vietnam and Thailand but I still pinned (not as much). I just didn’t expect it to drop so much.
I wanted to work on my blog while traveling, but most days I didn’t even have WiFi – and when I did, it was very slow and unreliable.
When I came back, my laptop was giving me problems. It took one frustrating week to figure out what was wrong with it. I was ready just to throw in the towel and buy a new one.
- May 2018 Income Report: How I Lost $157 Blogging
- June 2018 Income Report: How I Finally Made $52.43 Blogging
BLOG INCOME REPORT: $75.58
SiteGround: $50 | This is the company I use to host my blog. I didn’t start out using SiteGround. I started out using Bluehost and had to switch after 2 months. I cannot recommend SiteGround enough. You can read here why I switched from Bluehost to SiteGround.
Ebates: $25 | I have been using Ebates for a year now. I am obsessed with it. You get cash back from your favorite websites or stores by buying your everyday purchases. I had 4 people signed up for Ebates through my link and 1 of them made a purchase of over $25. This earned me $25 referral bonus (normally it’s only $10) and that person also got $10 for signing up.
Media.net: $0.58 | Media.net is an alternative ad network to Google Adsense. I have to say that Media.net wasn’t my first choice, but I gave it a try after Google Adsense kept rejecting me. I wasn’t doing much for my blog this month and traffic dropped significantly. They sent me an email asking if there is anything they can do to help me. How nice is that? You can run both Media.net and Google Adsense ads together. Click here to get started!
Amazon: $0 | Two orders were made using my link, but I didn’t get any commission for it. Maybe the things they ordered didn’t qualify.
Pinterest Traffic Avalanche Course: $0 | I was struggling to get any traffic to my blog and decided to purchase the course. It has helped me a lot, but then I slacked off and my traffic suffered for it.
Tailwind: $0 | Tailwind is a scheduling tool for Pinterest. I love how you can join 5 free tribes even if you don’t sign up for the paid version of Tailwind scheduler. One person signed up using my link for the free trial but no purchase was made.
JULY BLOG EXPENSES: $0
I already prepaid for hosting with SiteGround so I will not include it in this post. I will only include expenses that I actually have to pay during the month of the monthly income/expense report.
I was really ambitious and focused on my blog the first half of June. I tried to carry that ambition with me to July – but unfortunately, it did not happen.
1. Pinterest followers: from 360 to 470 this past month (+110)
2. Pinterest monthly viewers: from 49k to 72k (I was super excited) and then it dropped back to 51k last night. I woke up this morning and it was 27k. How can it drop so fast? I am not sure if Pinterest changed their algorithm again or not, but I am sad to see such a big drop.
3. Somehow I managed to write 6 blog posts:
- June 2018 Income Report: How I Finally Made $52.43 Blogging
- How My 22-Hour Layover Ended Up Costing Me More Money
- Would You Quit Your Job If You Had A Million Dollars
- 5 Amazing Sites To Get Free Stock Photos
- 7 Best Affiliate Programs for New Bloggers
- How to Save Money On Everyday Purchases
- Get 10,000 page views – I actually only had 300 page views! Yup…only 300. From almost 2000 last month to 300 this month.
- 750 followers on Pinterest – I currently have 470 followers.
- 20 email subscribers – I got 2 new subscribers. YAY!
- Write 15 blog posts – I am actually surprised I even managed to write 6 blog posts after my trip and computer problems.
- Join 20 Pinterest group boards – I didn’t join any.
- Join 5 Facebook groups – I sent out about 20 requests and I think Facebook soft-banned me. I cannot promote my blogs or post comments until 8/13/2018. I sent them multiple messages, but I guess I won’t be getting an answer. The message didn’t even explain to me why I won’t be able to post for 2 weeks.
GOALS FOR AUGUST
- Write 15 blog posts
- Clean up my Pinterest account and join 5 group boards
Notice how my goals for August are a lot less than the previous months? I’ve come to realize that while there are things I can do to help with traffic and followers, the fact is that I don’t have much control over it.
Look at my Pinterest account – I didn’t pin as much while I was away, but I still pinned daily and yet it dropped significantly. Is it something I did? Something Pinterest did? It’s a big puzzle.
Blogging is almost like dating. You get excited and then you get disappointed. I was excited when my traffic was up last month and now I am sad because it has dropped so much.
Many successful bloggers will tell you to write for your audience. It is about your audience and not you in this blogging world. I did follow that advice for a while, but I want to blog for years to come.
I have decided to change my writing style – something more me, something more personal. I was starting to get blogging fatigue. I want my posts to have a personality and yet still informative for my readers. I want my readers to relate to me. So that is my focus for August.
TOOLS FOR SUCCESS:
These are the tools that helped me with my blog:
Tailwind – Tailwind is a scheduling tool for Pinterest, but it is so much more than that. It knows when is the best time to schedule your pins to get the most impressions. My favorite is Tailwind Tribes. Tribes are like Pinterest group boards. You get 5 Tailwind Tribes and 30 free pins to Tribes even if you don’t sign up for the paid version of Tailwind scheduler. There is no reason to not use it.
ShareASale – ShareASale is a network of affiliates that bloggers can use to generate income from their blogs. I have a few affiliated products that I recommend that go through ShareASale such as NameCheap (where I get my domains from).
SiteGround – I signed up for SiteGround to host my domain after just 2 months of using Bluehost. Bluehost was causing my site to be really slow. SiteGround has the best customer service and an amazing technical team. I am not a technical person AT ALL and SiteGround has made it so easy for me.